Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

UPDATE TO: "Does The Board's Creativity Count When It Replaces Honesty and Failed Promises of Open Governance?"

Please read, "Does The Board's Creativity Count When It Replaces Honesty and Failed Promises of Open Governance?"  You'll note that it includes a notice of another closed Executive Board Meeting, concrete quotes of legal opinion, a motion, a pledge, minutes from a Board Meeting - all regarding the issue of closed meetings.  In fact, they all state that these meetings should be open to resident attendance.  Additionally, I included a letter I sent to the Board regarding the issue.  I believe I stated my case to the Board with fact and respect, but you get to decide because I provided it. 

This issue is important.  We have lived through years of secret meetings which led to leaks of information, court battles, board member suing board member, scathing newspaper articles, harmed reputations, and a community worn out and divided by speculation.  As residents we should take the time to research, attend meetings, and get the facts for ourselves.  Do you know how many times, after the real facts came out, I was told, "that isn't what I heard and I wouldn't have been part of that if I knew the truth"?   Attending these meetings, allows us to see our Board at work dealing with the issues.  When the facts are on the table for all of us to see, misconception and half truths will be greatly reduced, as we look at how we are governed.  We'll be able to decide for ourselves and not listen to one sided questionable facts, from leaks. 

I received one response from a Board Member I respect, who copied the entire Board.   I was told, " I can see why the community liaison does not wish to deal with your correspondence.  Before posting to your blog, a simple call to verify the purpose would suffice"  The purpose of the meeting was stated.  Another statement, "I'm sure you have access to all emails sent by the office."  Finally, "We as  new board are trying our best to conduct and conclude business in the best interest of the plantation.  You are welcome to volunteer to serve personally.  I am spending 30 to 40 hours per week trying to improve our situation and business practices."

I can't hold my tongue regarding the statement about the Community Liaison.  I encourage the Board to go and review the correspondence file and note Board Member Barrier's rare answers.  They could hardly be called that.  He has never answered a question.  He has insulted me as a writer (and others), criticized me as a resident, in a public Board Meeting criticized my role as a grandparent, and never once bothered to answer a question backed up with quotes from by-laws, covenants, policy or legal opinion.  

I responded to the Board:

First, Thank you for your response.  I have always had respect for you in your
volunteer capacities in our community and the larger community surrounding us. 
I'm well aware that there are times that we don't agree.

The announcement on the WPA website indicated the purpose of the meeting.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in regard to my access to office email. 
I have the same access as any resident if all communication is placed in the
correspondence file.

I will continue to share my correspondence on my blog.  As a resident, I've
experienced hidden meetings and agendas since July 2010.  I take Board motions,
attorney opinion, and Board Member pledges seriously. I don't believe the Board
should block member attendance at these meetings on the premise that the meeting
will be lengthy and tedious.  It is our right to decide for ourselves, based
upon legal opinion. The Board should not remove my right and determine whether I
sit through a lengthy process.

A simple call to the office doesn't do it.  It is my understanding that
concerns, complaints, and questions should be in writing and a copy placed in
the file.  I will continue to share my correspondence and observations on the
blog.  There have been two many secrets.  When a resident is answered, the Board
Member answering, speaks for the Board, and the answer should apply to anyone
asking the same question.   Additionally, current and former Board Members have
sent my correspondence to the Board, throughout the community.  I have no trust
in the current system.

I know the job is difficult.  I have donated many hours to committees and Board
activities.  Thank you again, this is one of those times when we don't agree.

Respectfully,

-------------------------

I didn't receive emails from anyone else on the Board.  I did run into a couple of Board Members who told me they had no problem with residents attending the meeting.  I hate rumor but here it is, I've heard that when all was said and done the Executive Board uninvited the other Board Members.  Perhaps you'd like to write the Board and ask.

Once again, open governance is what we were promised, legal opinion encourages it, etc.  Three closed Executive Meetings between December and the end of January doesn't meet the pledge, legal opinion, etc. 

The meeting scheduled was about the contract for the management group.  A vote will be taken at the Board table soon.  I endorse having a management committee, as long as the contract provides critical services.  I'd like to know what they are.   What is the total amount of the contract, under consideration?   Just some of the questions on this important issue.  

I've had over 25 years of experience serving on non profit boards or working as an executive reporting to a Board.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard a board member say that they (their constituents or individuals to be provided a service) don't know or understand.  Those boards had a problem because they weren't open enough, thereby causing speculation and distrust. 

As for the blog, I will continue to write and post.  You'll note that I provide documentation and if it is rumor I tell you that's what it is.  

Do you have an opinion?  Email it to:  wedgefieldexaminer@yahoo.com.  Be sure and note whether you want your name to appear with it.