Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

NOTE: AN ADDITIONAL THANK YOU WAS ADDED AT THE TOP OF THIS ARTICLE, ON 2/3 -BOATERS DUMP PINE TREES INTO THE CANAL BEHIND MY HOUSE. DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS BOAT" A THANK YOU TO SOME BOARD AND A COMMITTEE MEMBER

ADDED 2/3 :  A BIG THANK YOU, to BOB GARRISON, for his multiple calls to our home, working with the pictures I had taken so we can identify the boat owner, and taking extra steps to see if we can protect our canals.

AT 5:00 PM this evening, I noticed a boat in the canal loaded with pine trees.  I watched, and the two men in the boat began to dump a pine tree in the middle of the canal behind my house.  I grabbed my camera, shot a picture, and went out carrying the Wedgefield phone directory, my camera, and a phone, and asked the men what they were doing.  One said, "we're making a nice fishing spot for us."  I told him to stop, he wouldn't do that, and they dropped the tree in.  I told him to get it out.  He said, he didn't have to, this was open water.  My husband said we were going to call the authorities.  I had been dialing people from the board, who might know if they could dump the trees, do what they were doing, or at least tell me how I could stop them.

Some thanks are due to the following people:

*I first called the Garrison home.  Mrs. Garrison should be thanked for taking my call, listening to a hectic description of what was happening.  Bob, wasn't home, but she tried to calm me.

*I moved on calling Al DeMarchi, and he listened, and suggested my best source would be John Walton.  Al, was as helpful as he could be in this situation.

*I called the Walton home, left a message that I had an emergency in the canal, and left a brief message as to what was occurring.  Mrs. Walton called me right back, offered a suggestion, and stated that John had recently had surgery.  She was helpful.

*I then decided to call Ed Wozniak, Water Amenities Committee member.  He got on the phone, and offered advice.  Ed hurried and said that he would go out toward the landing, and see if he could spot them.  Next, the door bell rang, and Ed, and John Walton (recently out of surgery), came to look the situation over.  Ed had seen the boat, with more trees, leaving the canals through the North Channel.  They asked if I had the boat registration number, and I told them that I was shook up calling out to those guys, had a camera, and taken a picture, but that I didn't know what I had.  They advised me to always try and get the registration number, and call DNR.

I thank each, and everyone of the people mentioned above, for helping me, to the best of their ability, when I was concerned about this situation.  Thank you, Mrs. Garrison, Al DeMarchi, Pam & John Walton, and last but not least, Ed Wozniak.

HERE ARE THE PICTURES.  I MAYBE ABLE TO GET THE REGISTRATION NUMBERS IF I HAVE THE PICTURES ENLARGED.  IN THE MEAN TIME, IF YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.