Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD. WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO PROTECT THE VALUE OF YOUR PROPERTY, AND THE PROTECTION OF AN HOA?

The Wedgefield Examiner has a lot going on.  Most would declare that they needed an assistant.  My only assistant is Wonder Dog Brady, and he can't type, and for sure can't compose!  I owe you a article about the "open" Board Meeting.  I've visited the WPA Office, and secured some copies of legal papers.  I'm working on a project, on my own, about the dumping of evergreen trees in the canals, to legally make fish beds.  Yet, I was struck by a letter in the WPA Correspondence file.  It was a subject that I covered earlier, and as the saying goes, "it curled my hair", as I read it.  Earlier, I had reported about the resident who had placed their 2016 assessment in escrow.  This was reported by Legal Chair Garrison, and I took umbrage,  at his response, as he reported from the board table.  Why?  Because your Legal Chair, prior to entering the Board, blessed as Legal Chair by President Walton, had written residents during the canal dredging drama, along with two other "Bobs", and recommended that residents place their canal dredging assessments (legally voted on by a previous board), in an escrow account.  Now, he was reporting that he had told the resident to pay, or be fined!  Yet, your board, had failed to live up to the governing documents, in regard to property maintenance. 

First, attached to the letter, the resident presents what appear to be legal documents in the establishment of a escrow account, and deposite of $500 for the 2016 assessment, with the sole purpose to pay the assessment, after it is proven that your board has met the stipulations of our governing documents.   We start the direct letter language quote shortly after the letter subject introduction.

"at such time that the following occurs:
1) The neglected lot adjacent to me, which I HAVE REPEATEDLY REQUESTED TO BE KEMPT as REQUIRED by the WPA Conditions, Covenants & Restrictions, is cleared and maintained to those standards for a period of at least 120 days without my intervention, and

2) I have received in WRITING, a letter from the WPA, as per the Conditions, Covenants & Restrictions, and will be billed to the property owner, as also established in the Conditions, Covenants & Restrictions.  The purpose of this second part is to provide me reasonable assurance that these long-standing lot conditions will no longer occur, as it is obvious the owner will not accept this responsibility himself.

The 2016 funds will remain in escrow, and future assessments will be deposited into same escrow account when invoiced and due, UNTIL such time as the WPA FULFILLS their responsibilities and obligations to ME, or the matter is decided BY A COURT OF PROPER JURISDICTION.

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED that the situation has come to this. This is not the way I ENVISIONED our relationship would be with either our neighbor or the WPA."

COMMENTS:
Well, Well!  This is just another resident, who bought property in Wedgefield, with the thought that the board would operate according to the governing documents, and got a "cohesive" board's agenda!  I don't know who the resident is.  I do believe that they relied on our GOVERNING documents before they bought land here.  Many of us have been burned by the promise of protection of our property values, under the governing documents provided to them as they moved forward toward purchase.  Poor souls, they failed to acknowledge, or be aware of this current board's agenda.

I have to congratulate the writer!  Whether the individual knew of Garrison's writing about escrow accounts,  they have hit the nail on the head.  Regardless, this brave resident, has tested the board in what appears to be a real legal challenge.  Thank you, resident.  I wish you luck with this wishy washy - COHESIVE BOARD, can't think for your individual self board, who let's disregard for our governing documents, business, or prudent thought, keep them cohesive.  It should be noted, that the board's response to this letter was not included in the Correspondence file.  Yet, Garrison, almost humorously, reported at a recent monthly meeting, that he HAD responded (WHERE?), and as I recall, told the resident pay, or be fined, and suffer the full action of the collection policy.  

My message to the unknown resident:  "Keep up the good work!  You have a RIGHT to ask the board to uphold the governing documents - your promise at purchase.  I believe that you have a right to withhold your assessment, when your board fails to adhere to our governing documents.  If all else fails, get a copy of the 3 Bob's letter recommending escrow accounts.  Tell your attorney  that the WPA Legal Chair, recommended it, and give them, or the court the letter.