Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2016

THE GOLF COURSE MEETING HELD ON OCTOBER 18TH APPEARS TO LEAVE SOME RESIDENTS CONFUSED AND CONCERNED. WHAT HAPPENED? WHAT DO SOME RESIDENTS THINK WE SHOULD DO NEXT?


You are always welcome to write to the blog - agree, or disagree, and The Wedgefield Examiner will remove your name, and publish your comments, as sent. wedgefieldexaminerthe@yahoo.com. 

The information provided has come from members who attended the golf course meeting.  I did not attend.  I wanted to be at the WPA board meeting, held the same evening.

Yesterday, I talked to six residents who had attended.  I'm providing the following information to the best of my ability.  If you feel that I got something wrong, please email the blog wedgefieldexaminerthe@yahoo.com.  I'll be happy to remove your name, and publish the information, as sent.

About 200 people attended.  Some were couples, and there is only one membership per household, or lot.

The meeting was called by Mitch Thompkins, a local businessman, who has years of experience with golf course management.  He has interest in buying the golf course.  He explained that he met with the WPA board, and they have no interest in being involved in a purchase.  He was prepared to discuss the golf course, but did not have discussion figures on the pool, tennis courts, Plantation House, or golf cart paths. He spoke of the expense involved of cleaning up the course, and expense in maintaining, etc.

Now, we get to the confusing parts.  According to what I heard there were two plans. 1) The membership buys the golf course.  2) He, and the WPA membership buy the golf course, and the ownership be split - 49% membership, and 51% to him.  At points in discussion with the people I spoke to $500 per year, per member (577) seemed to be a common point. 

One person added, that the audience was asked to raise their hands if they were interested in purchase, and about 50% raised their hands.

It was noted that somewhere in the discussion process that someone mentioned the canals, and there was an uproar to the point that the speaker threatened to shut the meeting down, and said they knew there were problems there, but they weren't there to discuss those. 

When I asked what the outcome was, no one could give me an answer.  Basically, people didn't know what was next.

I've told you that the information provided above was second hand.  I wasn't able to attend, so I'm left with what I find reliable information brought to me by some who did.  As I talked to people they felt decisions needed to be made.  When asked, what exactly the decisions would be, and what power they had to make them, they didn't know.

I appreciate the time, and effort put forth by Mr. Thompkins, but I wonder why he went to the effort, after the board had told him that they had no interest in buying the course.  Based on what I heard, from an administrative/governance standpoint - you, and I have no decisions to make.  The power decision was made by the board.  They, and only them, have the power to budget, and assess, to make it happen.  Please understand that this isn't bad attitude, it is genuine concern.  I lay the bad outcome, confusion - no resolution, at the feet of the board, who failed to provide a forum for members to discuss how to save part of the heart of Wedgefield, and the original structure of the PUD.  

At some point real soon, members need to meet to discuss all of Wedgefield concerns - GOLF COURSE - CANALS - CONDO AREA, to save Wedgefield from the declining spin we are in.