Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I EMAIL THE BOARD FOR CLARIFICATION

I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR THE BOARD:

I sent the following email to the Board on May 21st:

Board,

When time allows, please provide clarification on the following:

1) Is this the email address I should be using to ask for information or should it be sent to the management company?

2)When pass due accounts are collected by the management company, does the management company receive 50% of the uncollected assessments & fines, or 50% of the fines - only?

3) If the management company secures bids, what kind of a fee are paid?

4) Would the Board consider posting the contract with the management company on the WPA website so that all residents could review it to understand the services provided?

I am of the belief that a management company will help our association move forward.  Just clarification so that my questions don't lead anyone to believe that I am against a management company.  My questions are simply for clarification.

Best Regards,

Madeline Y. Claveloux

CLARIFICATION FOR YOU, AS TO WHY I HAD QUESTIONS:

Prior to sending the email to the Board a reader sent me an email stating that they had read an article on the website.  In the article I had stated that it was my understanding from sitting at two recent Board Meetings that the management company would receive 50% of what they collected on past due accounts. The reader stated that it was their understanding that the management company would receive 50% of the fines, only.  I emailed the reader told them that I had asked two people who attended those meetings what their understanding was.  It was the same as mine.  I agreed to ask the Board.

As you'll note if you read on, my understanding was incorrect. YES, you read correctly.  I am admitting that I got it wrong.  It wasn't intentional, I had asked others what their understanding was, but we got it wrong.  I thought while I was writing the Board, I'd clarify a few other things.  So read on for the answers to the same questions you may have had.

THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS FROM TWO BOARD MEMBERS:

I received a quick response from two Board Members.  One was verbal, over the phone on May 22nd, and the other was via email on June 23rd.  I appreciate the response from each of them.  The verbal and written answers were consistent.  Here are the answers:


1) Who do we contact with questions: The management company.  We each received a letter from the company that included a email address.  Mr. LaFrance is our contact.  I've since asked if the Board could place the email address and contact information on the WPA website.

2)In regard to what the management company receives for collection on past due accounts:
First, both Board members advised that on accounts in arrears prior to May 2nd (date contract was signed with the management company), when they are collected (Past due accounts decreased some between April and May and now amount to somewhere around $150,000 +) the funds will go to the WPA including the fines.  Fines accessed after May 2nd, will be split 50-50 between the WPA and the management company, as they are collected.  The WPA receives 100% of the collected past due assessments.

3) In regard to the fees collected by the management company for securing bids:
Again, both Board Members stated that if the management company was involved in managing the project there was the potential for a negotiated fee of up to 10%.

4) In regard to posting the management company contract on the WPA website: 
One Board member felt that it should not be done because the management company bids on projects and it would produce an unfair advantage to others.  The second Board Member said it wouldn't personally be a problem.  In both cases, each said it would be a Board decision.

I appreciated their answers. 

As for the blog readers, I always encourage you to listen to the Board Meeting tapes at The Wedgefield Times, particularly on articles you are reading on the blog.  You should listen yourself to see whether you heard the same thing.  P.S.  A big thank you to the reader who emailed me and asked the question. 

Even better than just listening to the tape, go to the meeting.  I think I did an accurate resident count and there were less than 20 people at the May meeting.  The Board should continue to see that we are interested in our community.  If you snooze you lose.  Some months are quiet but Board votes continue to be taken and down the road, if you haven't been paying attention you can't claim that things were done in secret.