Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A REQUEST TO MEET WITH THE PRESIDENT AND WPA LEGAL COMMITTEE

June 8, 2013

TO: WPA BOARD

FROM: MADELINE Y. CLAVELOUX

RE: REQUEST TO MEETING WITH WPA PRESIDENT & LEGAL

COMMITTEE, REGARDING INSERTION OF STATE LAW REQUIREMENTS FOR A RESIDENT TO VIEW RECORDS

I am requesting a meeting with President Walton and the Legal Committee. I wrote and requested the opportunity to visit the office on a designated date to review non personnel, resident confidential, or legal files. I received an email from staff informing me that my requested time conflicted with a personal medical appointment. I emailed back and suggested the following day, for her convenience. I later received an email, copied to all board members, from board member DeMarchi, quoting state law regarding review of records. I and others have reviewed records with written request according to our by-laws. In fact, having reviewed the correspondence file for many years, I have found that often the by-laws aren’t completely followed, as they require a statement of purpose for reviewing the files, and often it isn’t provided. Yet residents have been able to review the files. I provided a purpose statement.

I’ve asked the board when the policy changed to the state law, when the board approved the policy, and why me, why now, and whether DeMarchi acted alone? No one has answered. I do know that the board ARC committee and our president met with a resident who had questions. Will I be denied the same opportunity. I would hope not.

Other questions arise. The secretary of the board is responsible for the records and supervision of the office. Why did the treasurer jump in? Why not a response from the board secretary? Why if you have changed the procedure for all residents and it could be viewed as legal, why not the legal chair? When did you post the change for all residents on this issue?

Right now, it just appears to be discrimination against me as a member. Will the president and legal committee answer in person, when they have failed to answer in writing? I await the call to schedule this meeting. I have a dependent family member visiting from June 13 through the afternoon of the 17th and would be available any other time. Should you grant the meeting, I would like to bring another member with me as witness to the discussion.

In the event that you determine that the president and legal committee won’t meet with me, I am requesting one of the two speaker positions, open to members in good standing, at the June 18th board meeting. The topic is, Inconsistency In Our WPA Governance.

I look forward to your response.

CC: The Wedgefield Examiner